Friday, June 19, 2009

WAP Graduation

It's finished. In the past 10 months I schoolworked, homeworked, starbucksed (worked), seattled, oregoned, calgaryed, whistlered (x 1 million), revelstoked, trout laked, lake louised, omahaed, tofinoed, jordan rivered, and maybe some more.

All of that fun and not so fun culminated in a diploma in journalism and photography from the Western Academy of Photography.

The hard work paid off, too, and I was fortunate to win some awards for my work. In my program, called Written Image, I won Best Feature Editorial Photo, for a shot of a roadblock in Squamish where a young man was pulled over for drunk driving. In an open category amongst all of the students I won Best Photo Essay, titled "Joey: Age 2.5" (the one in the video of the little boy, all photos are black and white.)

Finally, in my program I won both Best Portfolio and Best Photojournalist. All in all the year paid off! Phew!

Enjoy my book:

Amy McDermid Photojournalism Portfolio from Amy McDermid on Vimeo.

No comments: